On March 18, 2020, Dr. Escobedo announced that all schools in the Chula Vista Elementary School District will be closed indefinitely past the original return date of Monday, April 6. Spring break started on Monday, March 23 for two weeks. On Sunday, March 15, 2020, Chula Vista Educators sent a demand to bargain the impacts and effects of school closures.
As union members, we are protected under the Educational Employment Relations Act (EERA) which guarantees our rights to bargain our working conditions and to unionize. The District cannot make a unilateral change in our working conditions without first bargaining with CVE members. If the district decides to implement distance learning, our contract guarantees CVE’s involvement in the plan through both consultation and bargaining. Our CVE Bargaining Team is currently in negotiations with the District's team. Both sides have a shared interest in an agreement to the implementation of distance learning. Please be patient through the process. We are optimistic we will have an agreement early the week of March 30, 2020. On March 30, 2020, an agreement was signed. Please click on the button to read the MOU.
- The CVESD & all other South County school districts are closed indefinitely. What does this mean?
- We will continue to be on paid status. If you do not have direct deposit, your check may be delayed as it will come directly from the SDCOE. We will continue to have all benefits, including accrued sick leave and health insurance.
- We will continue to earn service credit toward our retirement.
- We have a calendar for next year that has already been bargained and agreed upon; any changes would have to be negotiated.
- Any changes to our working conditions, including ANY directives for distance learning opportunities must be bargained. The EERA has not been suspended and our collective bargaining agreement protects us from unilateral changes, even in times of emergency.
- Some cautions about distance learning:
- Parents are not teachers.
- Many parents are suffering from the same trauma as their children.
- Use caution when using your personal device to communicate with parents and students.
- Use caution when using your work device for personal activities.
- Use best practices for interacting with students and parents from home.
- If you video conference, be aware of background items and people.
- All testing is canceled, including Local Measures.
- Our union work continues as usual. We will continue to bargain, fight grievances, and represent each and every one of you like we always do. If we are working with you on a specific issue, someone from CVE leadership with contact you as soon as possible.
- We’ve created a parent letter that you can use, if you want to share with your parents ways to support their children. It's editable so feel free to make it yours.
- Evaluations will be completed. Contract language will be followed.
- The tentative agreement was ratified with 96% approval. CVESD is waiting for approval from the San Diego County Office of Education and should be approved by the school board at their next meeting on May 27, 2020.
- Election for Area Directors was tallied on Tuesday, April 14, 2020.
- There are no current plans to direct members to work as emergency responders. But we can always volunteer as long as it is outside of our regular duty day.
Email our CVE President, Susan Skala, at email@example.com
VEBA RESOURCE CENTER